Wednesday 10 August 2011

New Wine 2011

We've got a guest writer for you, a chap who goes to the same church as me & helps lead the youth work. Dave Mason visited New Wine this year...


Well what an experience. I'd never been to any New Wine summer conferences before, so I didn't know what to expect at all. I first applied to be on the Club One team (11-13s) as I lead that sort of age group at the church youth group, however it's very popular and sadly I didn't get on the team. Still there were loads of places on the Stewarding team and I was invited to serve as a Welcome Steward at the Meeting Place. 

The Meeting Place is the main venue at New Wine and working there was one of the most exciting experiences of my life. Simon Guillebaud from All Nations, a mission training college, gave talks every morning that were massively challenging and inspiring. In the evenings there were talks from a variety of different speakers: Nadine Parkinson, Tanya Bright-Cook, Steve Chalke, Jonathan Oloyede, Mike Pilavachi, Gavin Calver and Anthony Delaney. 

For me personally the most touching and relevant talk was from Jonathan. He really challenged the delegates to lead a better prayer life and put Christ first and that really hit home for me as quite often I don't really do either of those things. He suggested we make an effort to set out a particular time each day to pray. He also asked if we could all set an alarm on our mobiles for 12pm each day to remind us to pray the Lord's Prayer each day. I've stuck to that and it's really helped to me to spend more time with him.

Aside from the fantastic speakers it was time for real refreshment, prayer and healing. I don't think I've ever received so much prayer in such a short time! I came from Newark feeling very refreshed and some of the healings that took place there were truly amazing. Just from what I gathered at the Meeting Place alone, a deaf man was healed and two ladies who were restricted to wheelchairs before the event were up on their feet walking with no pain or other problems. That was just from what I had seen and heard in the Meeting Place. I'm more than certain there were further healings in that venue and elsewhere. 

I don't think I've ever been to an event that was so spirit-filled and spirit-driven. Hundreds of people committed or recommitted their lives to Christ and I can't see why you wouldn't when it was so obvious at that event that Jesus is very much alive and working in peoples' lives. I'd recommend being a Welcome Steward or at least on team to anyone. Being able to serve Christ and His people and seeing the Holy Spirit working in their lives: there's nothing like it!



Dave Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment