Monday 8 November 2010

Philippa Hanna Interview

Interview with Philippa Hanna, August 2010. 



Hello Philippa Hanna. How are you doing? Where are you currently?
Hey there! I’m doing really well thanks. I’m currently in Sheffield preparing for a crazy week next week.
How’s 2010 going thus far?
It’s been a really different but totally amazing year. It’s been my first year as a ‘Mrs’. Joel and I got married in September so this year has been about us learning to function as a team and to support each other in our work. And to figure out who does what around the house!
If people don’t know what you and your music are about, how would you describe yourself?
As a relatively new Christian who was brought up in non-religious background, yet surrounded by music. I’ve been singing since I can remember and my earliest memory is of watching my dad on stage. I started writing songs when I was about 13 and began producing music. I had a bit of a turbulent time during my teen years and music was my only anchor really. I guess you could say I went ‘off the rails’. Trying to fit in and figure out who I was, I started hanging out with older girls and experimented with drinking, smoking etc. As I left school, (without much to show for it) I pursued a career in show business and started to write and sing for a living.
You became a Christian about 5 years ago, what made your life turn in God’s direction?
Whilst I was pursuing music I encountered so many disappointments. I did audition after audition and wrote for countless projects which never got off the ground. At the same I had a string of relationships which ended in tears. At my lowest point I was living with a boyfriend and the relationship had become really dark. I remember thinking – ‘this can’t be my life -something’s missing. It’s like I’ve gone totally off track’. It’s hard to describe how that feels but it was so depressing! Soon after, I meant a guy named Roo Walker who was playing at a local music venue. I was captivated by his personality and talent. We made friends and began making music together. After a couple of months of knowing Roo he told me he’d become a Christian. I was gob-smacked! I thought he’d lost the plot. I’d been interested in spirituality for years and in my darkest times had even visited healers and spiritualists. I was very confused about what I believed and talked to Roo about God on a regular basis. Finally after months of pondering, attending various events with Roo and His other Christian friends I found myself in a worship meeting in Sheffield where an artist named Godfrey Birtil was leading worship. I found myself asking Jesus to reveal himself to me. If he was real I wanted him to take over my life and do a better job then I’d been doing! From that moment things began to change and I started to understand who God was. He became real to me and I began my daily walk in relationship with the ‘Jesus’ that my friends had been sharing with me. After a short time I picked up guitar to learn worship songs and wound up writing a whole bunch of new material with my faith at the centre.
You’ve written a book about your experiences; tell us about it, how did you start putting the pen to paper?
As you might have guessed by now I like to talk! Always have done. And as I started to play my songs to people, I naturally broke up the set with stories. My friend (and now manager) Andy Baker, suggested I type them up and make a book out of them! I laughed at first but eventually I gave it a shot and it came together nicely.
So, getting married last year, congrats, is that where your single ‘Summer Bride’ comes from?
Not really :-) I was inspired after watching many of my friends go through difficult break-ups. As Christians we often pin a lot of hope for happiness on marriage or romance and find ourselves broken. Marriage is one of the best gifts God has given me! But when all’s said and done it’s only Jesus that lasts forever and we can be sure He’ll never leave or forsake us.
How do you think you’ve developed between ‘Watching Me’ and ‘Taste’?
I suppose that’s for the listener to judge! There’s a freshness and naivety about Watching me. Most of the songs were written within months of finding faith in God. With Taste, it’s a little bolder and more confident. I think as I began to write those songs I’d become more secure in God and more confident as an artist. I think playing live with great musicians has really improved me as a musician too.
Taste’ is still a pretty new release, how do you hope people react to the album?
I just hope it blesses people! So far, the reaction has been so positive. If people can say ‘that song really lifted me up when I hadn’t been attending church’ or ‘It makes me feel better to hear someone being honest about their struggles as a Christian’ then I think I’m doing my job! I think the tone of the album is that I’m a sinner saved by Grace and nothing more!
Back to your roots, how did you first come to music?
I first got on the stage with my dad when I was 2 years old. It was a terrifying experience and the mirror-ball freaked me out. I ended up being rescued in tears by my dad and the audience were in stitches. It took me a while to try again but with a bit of coaxing I ended up back on stage doing pubs and clubs when I was 18.
And how did the band come together?
It was really natural. I met Pete and Tim Dawson at a city-wide church leaders event. Pete was actually leading worship at the time. I found out he was a drummer and his brother Tim was a Bass player. My friend Andy Baker suggested we get together and have a jam and the rest is History! Naturally Roo was invited to play guitar too.
Who would you love to perform with, past or present?
I’d love to perform with Stevie Wonder! He’s my number one. Or perhaps John Mayer. In the Christian world I absolutely love John Foreman of the band Switchfoot.
What are you currently listening to on your mp3 player?
I’m loving Ellie Goulding! And also Mark Ronson’s new tracks are sounding great.
Who do you think is going to sum up the sound of 2010?
I think artists like Marina and the Diamonds, Lady Gaga and again Ellie, are the women of the moment! It’s a good time to be a lady in pop.
Best venue you’ve played?
I had a fantastic 2 nights at tiny little local venue (My video for Return to Love was shot there) Called the Lantern Theatre. It’s in Sheffield and is truly tiny! There are only about 90 seats crammed in and the atmosphere is gorgeous. Also raiding the costume cupboard was a riot!
What do you miss the most when you’re on the road touring?
My husband Joel :-) He’s a rock to me! He also takes to the road sometimes to drum with his band The Gentlemen, so we miss each other!
You visited Haiti weeks before the disaster. What was your time over there like and tell us about ‘Ave To Love’?
I was taken to Haiti by the organisation ‘Compassion’ www.compassionuk.org Compassion is a child sponsorship organisation who work with churches in the poorest countries in the world. It was very surreal staying in Haiti. It’s extremely hot and densely populated. From the moment we arrived, driving through the capital was an eye-opener. Every day is a fight for survival, and people have to do what they can to make a days wage. It’s just heaving with people and very cramped, yet you get a sense that the Haitians just take it all in their stride. It was a relief to visit the Compassion projects and see what a difference God’s love can make through sponsorship. The projects act like a safe-zone where children can be loved cared for and eventually develop into healthy, educated adults.
If Philippa Hanna was a Jelly Bean, what colour and flavour would you be and why?
I would be lemon flavoured, because I’m zingy, energetic and bright (most of the time).
Some quick fire questions:
Tea or coffee?
Coffee
Summer or winter?
Summer
Superman or Batman?
Superman
Mac or PC?
PC
Bread or Wine?
Wine
Favourite passage from the Bible?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!
What’s next on the agenda for Philippa Hanna?
More writing for a third album! And an exciting trip to the other side of the world for a girl-band project I’m helping to coach.
And finally, how would you describe the love of God for all those people who perhaps get embarrassed about being a Christian, those who are unsure of their direction and of course those already on their journey with Christ?
We always need to keep our focus on Jesus. Not on what people think of us or what we want from the world. Everything else will fade away but God lasts forever. If we stay focused on that everything else falls into place!
Thanks Philippa.

No comments:

Post a Comment