Wednesday 15 December 2010

Roo Walker Interview

Hello Mr Roo Walker. How are you doing? Where are you currently?

Hello! I'm doing very well thanks and currently I am in Wales with my family
How’s 2010 going thus far?

2010 is going fast but there's lots that's happened, release of E.P in February and I think I've nearly sold them all which I got printed which is a good start.
If people don’t know what you and your music are about, how would you describe yourself?

I'm in contrast/conflict of being a musician and an entertainer. I always have the intention of being more of a musician but as soon as you put me in front of an audience I can't help myself from being a complete fruit loop! Idiot sometimes... I write songs, some are "serious" some are about wanting to burn down my town (not serious)
I like to give people joy... And fire lighters! (just kidding)  
When did you give your life to God and what made your life turn in God’s direction?

I gave my life to God for the first time on December 8th 2003. I decided with a friend to find out about this whole God religion thing, I wanted to understand if there was one God or lots of gods, if so, why so many religions? Is there no god? Yada yada. I try to give my life to God as much as I can remember to because I have a habit of trying to take it back. 

Your debut release 'Positive Music' music is fantastic. What message did you want to give through this release and through this music in general?'

Thank you , good question, I wish I knew what I was thinking!
  
You took the song ‘Sound of Selling Out’ as a single. What is the story behind the song and what made you pick it as the single?

I started writing the song when I was listening to the radio and a song came on, the song which thankfully I can't remember was doing very well in the charts. This may sound arrogant (it probably is) but I thought, this is rubbish, isn't it? Yes it's really quite bad...  I can write something better than that I said to myself, so I started the basis of it and wanted to write something that ticks all the boxes as a pop song. I often try to be clever when writing songs but this time I wanted to be really obvious and cliche for a change, so that's where the title came from because it's selling out musically. The chord progression in the chorus has been used so many times for hit songs, even hit worship songs.

Metaphorically it is reffering to when you want to give up on your dreams/calling to just to do  something which gets you by. I chose it as a single because it just stands out as being the single sounding track on the E.P. Plus it seems to be most peoples favourite.
   
What’s your favourite track from the album?

I think errrr The Sound of Selling Out!
Back to your roots, how did you first come to music?

My Dad and older brother played guitar and both introduced me to lots of music growing up... Dad liked prog rock of the 70s and the Beatles, my bro liked green day guns n roses and oasis. I started playing guitar at 12 and got obsessed.

Where do you find influences?

Influences find you. Haha!
Who would you love to perform with, past or present?

I would love to perform with Bobby Mcferrin or Wagner.   
What are you currently listening to on your mp3 player?

Loving the IHOP one thing worship, Listened to the song 'When I'm alone' by Lissie about a bezillion times. Punch Brothers latest album antifogmatic has been marvelled over alot too

Who do you think is going to sum up the sound of 2010?

Lady Gaga, if I'm honest I think that's the sound most commercial artists are striving for.

Best venue you’ve played?

Mermaid Theatre London/Sheffield O2 Academy
What do you miss the most when you’re on the road touring?

My girlfriend Emma, family and friends. 
You’re known for being quite comedic during your live shows, have you always been seen as the ‘funny’ one?

Haha the funny one, yes I think so although I'm not a comedian. You would be very disopointed if you came to a show under that impression. You would probably point and laugh though!  
If Roo Walker was a Jelly Bean, what colour and flavour would you be and why?

Well Cilla, I would be the colour green and would be the flavour of asparagus because people would go, eeeeeer I was not expecting that. Similar to the audience response after my shows.
Some quick fire questions:

Tea or coffee?

Tea please.
Summer or winter?

I think it's winter at the moment.
Superman or Batman?

Batman.
Mac or PC?

Mac.
Bread or Wine?

Haha wine.
Favourite passage from the Bible?

Joshua 1 vs 5 - 9.

I suppose we should mention it as it is fast approaching…how will you be celebrating Christmas?

With my family me thinks. Vote John Cage! 

And finally, what’s coming up in 2011 and next on the agenda for Roo Walker?

I think I shall start making an album!
Management wants me to make a DVD, I'm not sure about it bit think it's happening!
I'm also looking forward to continuing working with Philippa Hanna and Chip Kendall.
   
Thanks Roo. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment