Friday 21 January 2011

Sonicflood Interview

Hello Rick from Sonicflood. How are you doing? Where are you currently and how was 2010 for you? 

Well it's been a wild as my wife ran for Congress in Tennessee's 5th district and then we moved to Virginia. Phil our guitar player went back to Australia and our good friend, Ron stepped in. Then Mckendree got married and moved to Pennselvania... so pretty crazy!

If people don’t know what you and your music are about, how would you describe yourself? 

We are people who live for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and we play music that communicates our love and devotion to Him. The sounds that we use musically vary from 'rock' to 'pop' to 'ballad'... we grew up on rock and roll and its the type of music that we like to play but we let the song dictate the sounds that we use.

Your band name is taken from a line in the book of Revelation, what made you decide on that name and were there any other 'options' you had on the table? 

Revelation 19:6 says Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: "Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns.

In this passage the worship of the King of kings will sound like the roar of rushing waters, or like a flood and the word sonic is another word for sound so we say that 'sonicflood' is the sound of the roaring worship of heaven because Christ has defeated all sin and sickness.

When did you give your life to God and what made your life turn in God’s direction? 

I grew up going to church up to 3 times a week sometimes more depending on the time of year but my relationship and understanding of God's character was confused and lacking. I grew up in a very legalistic church where I never fully understood the love of God. I believe the Father of Lies or satan wants us to have a confused idea of God's nature so that our relationship with God becomes twisted or shallow. I remember watching several of my friends that I grew up with in church, in fact leave the church and any semblance of a faith in Christ soon after they graduated High School. I was blessed to have a nurturing family that challenged me to find my own relationship with God by searching the Word and letting it permeate my heart. At age 11 I became very ill and I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I truly believe having to deal with that illness for 27 years made me even stronger because I found that we cant rely on anything but God to make us whole and have real life. And a great testimony to His Might and Power is that the Lord healed me from that disease which is completely impossible by man's strength - But with Christ all things are possible!

Inspirational! You've released 10 albums since your beginning over a decade ago. Which would you say was the most successful album? And how would you define success? 

I believe all our albums have been successful because people have been affected by the songs from all our releases.... is that cheating? I define success by achieving a goal and our goal has always been to change the world by the power of obedience to God and persistance in the face of adversity. We have been faithful to do what we beleive the Lord has called us to do and because of that fact the Lord has used our offering to His glory and as His servants - we are grateful and humbled. All glory to our Saviour and Lord!

What’s your favorite track over the numerous albums?  

My favs change over time but the song I'm currently digging is 'Psalm 91'


Which do you most enjoy playing live?  

I most enjoy the spontanious times in the set which are mingled with scripture and Hymns... following the leading of the Lord is a blast!

What message do you want to give through your music?  

That the most important thing in life will ALWAYS be your relationship with the Creator of the Universe and that you have accepted Christ as the Son of the Living God... Jesus Christ is the Way the Truth and the Life, there is no other way but through the Son!

Back to your roots, how did you first come to music?  

Singing in church is what I remember, then leading worship in church. The next thing I remember was dragging my dad's bass guitar down from the attic and then having him teach me a few things. Sitting in my room and playing music was my refuge during my younger years and music came easy to me so i liked it. I got into some garage bands and into gigging in bars in those years while at the same time leading worship on Sunday then I got into a Contemporary Christian band called Big Tent Revival and then moved into Sonicflood.

Where do you find influences?  

I have been influenced by popular music and by the Hynms I used to sing. My dad had some albums from the 60's and 70's that I listened to as well. I did go through phases of what I listen to but im a sucker for a hooky melody line and a catchy chord progression and it doesnt matter if its Jazz, Rock, Pop or Gospel.


Who would you love to perform with, past or present?  

Hmmmm, The Beatles, Chicago (in the 70's), U2, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix, Abba, the Bee Gee's, the Eagles, George Benson, Chaka Khan, King David and the first Levite Priests in the temple.

What artists have you most loved sharing a stage with? 

Most recently Tammy Trent, Matt Redman, Delirious, Mercy Me and Hillsong.

Who do you think is going to sum up the sound of 2011?  

The use and abuse of auto-tune!

God's Earth is a huge place, as you've toured internationally, taking you to all corners of the globe, where have you most enjoyed visiting, what cultures have you embraced?  

Ooooh, that is a difficult question because everywhere we have been has led us to meet so many amazing people and experience so many wonderful cultures but I do love Guam.

Best venue you’ve played? 

The best venue I've played is in an orphanage in India surrounded by children!

What do you miss the most when you’re on the road touring? 

Of course I miss being with my family the most, there was a time when we were out for about 2 and a half weeks and when I got home my little girl had grown and changed so much that I just stood in the front yard and held her and cried... I dont want to miss my children's childhood!

How has the Christian music scene changed over the decade you've been part of it? 

WOW, what hasnt changed! The whole industry has been turned upside down because of all the technological advancements, namely the personal computer and the internet. Big record companies arent getting the record sales they used to in the 90's so there are tons of cut-backs and without the capitol to invest in new artists, many people are deciding to go indie (independant). Also with the advent of the internet, cd sales have almost bottomed out... people are downloading their music now sometimes on their phones! So it's wild and I cant wait to see what happens next. If you want to survive this industry you must learn to think outside the box - way outside the box!

Let's go outside the box then...if Sonicflood was a Jelly Bean, what color and flavor would you be and why?  

The color would be blue-green, the color of the ocean and it would taste like the new rain...

Some quick fire questions: 

Tea or coffee? 

COFFEE!!!!!

Summer or winter? 

SUMMER!!!!

Superman or Batman? 

BATMAN!!!!

Mac or PC? 

MAC!!!!

Bread or Wine? 

Neither, I'm allergic to wheat and yeast. I prefer meat and veggies.

Favorite passage from the Bible? 

Psalm 103 ...' He heals all my diseases!'

What’s coming up in 2011 and next on the agenda for Sonicflood?

Leading worship around the world, writing and recording new songs...

And finally, how would you describe the love of God for all those people who perhaps get embarrassed about being a Christian, those who are unsure of their direction and of course those already on their journey with Christ?

I would describe God's love this way. When I was a new father. I was holding my first born there in the hospital and suddenly realized that every fibre in my being was in love with this little baby girl and then out of nowhere, I heard God's voice whisper to me that He loves me that much but His heart and love for me is infinite! WOW! the Lord's love for us is endless as He showed the world when He let His Son be sacrificed for us all! This is a love that we must share - not hide!


Thanks Rick! Have a blessed day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment