Monday 14 March 2011

Chip Kendall Interview

Hello Chip Kendall. How are you doing? Where are you currently?

I’m good, I’m at home.

How's 2011 going thus far? 

Great!  Tons of incredible opportunities opening up right now.  God is good.

If people don't know Chip Kendall, how would you describe yourself? 

I love peanut butter milkshakes.  I’d probably start there, and see how willing they’d be to carry on the conversation.

When did you give your life to God and what made your life turn in God's direction? 

My mom tells me it happened when I was about 4 years old.  I asked, and she explained how I could invite Jesus into my heart.

You are most well known for being part of thebandwithnoname. Over the nine years, four albums and countless lives changed through TBWNN, what was your highlight? 

Without a doubt, the biggest highlight has been hearing the stories of people saved and seeing firsthand young people choosing to follow Christ.

Out of those four albums, which would you say was the most successful and how would you define success? 

‘Dying to Be There’ won the most awards.  I don’t actually know which album sold the most copies, but I could find someone who does.  Success is extremely relative.  My prayer is that every album hit it’s mark, in God’s eyes primarily.

What's your favourite track from your time with TBWNN? Which did you most enjoy playing live?  

Obviously ‘Amazing Grace’ was a lot fun, because that’s the one most people already knew.  I still do that one live with my new band.  I also enjoyed ‘Home’, mainly because of some personal significance I would attach to it every time we performed it.

Why did the band come to an end last September? 

I think the best explanation is that it was simply the end of a season.  The same people who brought TBWNN into the world - the directors of Innervation Trust - were the ones who decided to finish it.  I’m honored to say that we truly finished at the top of our game.

What message did the band want to give through it's music? 

The Gospel message.  I think it’s best summed up in the 4 points...  God loves me.  I have sinned.  Jesus died for me.  I need to decide to live for God.

Back to your roots, how did you first come to music? 

My dad was the worship pastor at the church I grew up in.  My sister and I were blessed with many opportunities to take the stage at an early age.  My grandfather taught me to play the piano.

Where do you find influences? 

Music I grew up with.  Bands I’ve got massive respect for.  The Bible.  Church.  Life experience.  My wife and kids.  Sermons I’ve listened to.  Stuff young people are listening to.

How do you write music, how does the process work? 

Every song has its own story.  At the moment, I’m loving the whole process of co-writing with friends.  There’s a real synergy that happens when two ‘voices’ combine to create something.  That’s not to say it’s always an easy process!

Who would you love to perform with, past or present? 

When I was younger, my dream was to one day be a Carman dancer.  Most of your readers have probably never heard of the guy, but he’s a legend.  I’d have loved to have been in a Michael Jackson music video.

What artists have you most loved sharing a stage with? 

It was a dream come true to be on stage with tobymac and Kevin Max performing ‘Jesus Freak’ at a gig in London a few years ago.  I was the biggest dcTalk fan ever!  And this summer I’ll be opening for the Newsboys (now fronted by the third member of dcTalk, Michael Tait).

What are you currently listening to on your mp3 player? 

I’m currently leading worship most Sundays at a big church in London, so I’m playing serious catch-up learning the praise and worship songs they sing... mostly Israel Houghton, Gateway, Hillsongs, that sort of thing.  Great songs!

Who do you think is going to sum up the sound of 2011? 

I don’t think we’ve heard the ‘voice of 2011’ yet.  Last year it was blatantly B.O.B., Lady Gaga, Katie Perry, Tinie Tempah, Kesha and my favorite - Bruno Mars.

God's Earth is a huge place, where have you most enjoyed visiting, what cultures have you embraced? 

My dad told me once, ‘You can take the boy out of America, but you can’t take the America out of the boy.’  The older I get, the more I realize how true that is.  However, having been in the UK for so long, I can see many things that our countries can learn from each other.  Also, I’ve got a massive heart for the nation of Israel, having spent all my teenage years there.

Best live performance you've played? 

A schools gig in Congleton where all the power went off halfway through the show.  Long story, but God did some insanely cool stuff in me that night.

What do you miss the most when you're on the road touring? 

My wife and kids of course.  I’m constantly looking for excuses to bring them with me.  That would genuinely be a dream come true.

How has the Christian music scene changed since you've been part of it? 

I think generally the entire music industry has been forced to shift in recent years, primarily because people simply don’t buy music anymore.  Even Christian kids are illegally downloading tracks all the time.  Thankfully, though, you can’t replace the thrill of a live gig.  People are just more picky now, in my opinion.

How does it feel to be in a position to inspire so many people, including young people to turn their lives to Christ? 

I’m constantly reminded of the verse that says, “To whom much is given, much is required.”  I refuse to neglect the responsibility I have to model something great for this generation.  Ultimately, I don’t want to just be about making converts.  I want to be about making disciples.

If Chip Kendall was a Jelly Bean, what colour and flavour would you be and why? 

Either peanut butter or cinnamon.  Definitely not a combination of the two.  That’s just gross.

Some quick fire questions: 

Tea or coffee? 

Neither.  I always tell people I’m not quite British enough for tea; not quite American enough for coffee.  Then I politely ask for orange juice.

Summer or winter? 

In England?  Summer.  In America?  Winter.

Superman or Batman? 

Batman.

Mac or PC? 

Once you go mac, you don’t go back.

Bread or Wine? 

Bread.

Favourite passage from the Bible? 

Romans 12:21, “Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”

Now TBWNN has disbanded you are working on your solo project. Your first release is going to be 'k is for kendall', what should we expect from the EP? 

Every song is different to the one before.  That’s why I deliberately call it an EP as opposed to an album.  I could write a whole album’s worth of material for any one of these songs.  And to be honest, the songs I’ve produced since finishing the EP are different again!  You can hear a taster now at www.chipkendall.com  

What else could 'k' stand for? 

Krispy Kreme.  Kool-Aid.  Kangaroo.

What are the stories behind the tracks?  

Too long and complicated to include here... Mostly involving my family.  You’d probably find it way too sentimental.

Have you ever danced like there is no tomorrow? 

Absolutely!  That’s the best kind of dancing.

What would you do if there was no tomorrow? 

I’d probably just go to sleep anyway.

What's coming up in 2011 and next on the agenda for Chip Kendall?  

Tons!  I’ll just mention 3 of them here.  Chip Kendall band - we’ve got a great set planned for Big Church Day Out and the summer festivals.  Test of Faith: Live! - a new schools week package aimed at secondary schools, combining music, faith and science.  And finally, MYvoice - a new youth media movement enabling people to make their voices heard.

And finally, how would you describe the love of God for all those people who are unsure of their direction and of course those already on their journey with Christ? 

Romans 8:37-39 (ESV)
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.


No comments:

Post a Comment