Tuesday 1 March 2011

Rob Halligan Interview

Hello Rob Halligan. How are you doing? Where are you currently?

Hello. Very well thanks! I'm currently sitting in my lounge in Coventry

How's 2011 going thus far?

It's been very busy, which is mostly good. There's plenty of dates in the diary, a new album out and work with the charities I'm involved with.

If people don't know Rob Halligan, how would you describe yourself?

6 foot, messy hair and quite untogether most of the time.


When did you give your life to God and what made your life turn in God's direction?

When I was 16. I was in a mess, stuck in the latest in what was then a catalogue of crisis. I was homeless and on the run from the police. I ended up in Northampton, 130 miles away from home, and bumped into some Christians who were having a mission in the town. They were giving out food and when I spun a convincing story they gave me somewhere to stay.
Eventually I began to see Jesus in these people that were helping me out. I told them the truth about what I was doing and slowly my heart was won.


You've released a number of albums over your career, which would you say it has been the most successful and how would you define success?

Commercially my last album, “the Best Thing That's Happened”. It won awards and sold very well but it's not about that. There are particular songs that touch people, some more than others. Success is when people find something of God's love in what I'm singing about.  

What's your favourite track from your albums? Which do you most enjoy playing live?

It changes depending on the venue, audience and whether I'm playing with a band or solo. At the moment it's a song called “Meet Me” from my latest album. All time it's probably Innocence.  

What's the story behind the title of The Perils The Grace & The Way?

The songs on The Perils The Grace and The Way were written and recorded over two years. It really is a journey, and on any journey you come across dangers, perils, but there's often grace to get through them. The title is really the sum of the songs.  

What message do you want to give through your music?

Hope. Beauty from ashes. Light in darkness. This is a messed up world but there is a hope. Most of my songs are not overtly Christian but they all have the same spirit - that there's a hope in the mess that we live in and that hope is in God.  

You tragically lost your father in the terrorist acts of 9/11. This obviously affected you and your music. On your website you say "It's up to us to make a difference in this world by the way we respond to tragedy". How did you respond to such a personal tragedy?

The days after 9-11 I spent a lot of time in Coventry cathedral. The old cathedral was bombed in the last war and at the alter there stands a cross made from the burnt rafters of the roof. There's a prayer called the litany of reconciliation which is about forgiveness. It turns thing around - reconciliation starts with looking at your own heart. I was challenged to live the words of Jesus. Forgive your enemies - pray for those who persecute you. That's tough but it's what we subscribe to when we decide to follow Jesus. It takes some working out but there's grace to do that.  

Back to your roots, how did you first come to music?

I was involved in a road accident when I was 11. I ended up in hospital for 6 months and to counter the boredom my mum bought me a guitar. I learnt 3 chords and a lot of Bob Dylan and Ramones songs. When I went back to school I joined a band with some mates. We were pretty awful but it was a start.  

Where do you find influences?

Style-wise my influences come from all over the place. I listen to rock, folk, classical, indie. John Mayer, Bruce Springsteen and Billy Bragg are my favorite songwriters. Lyrically I love old hymns and old folk songs that tell stories. I write about people or things that I've experienced. For me its about telling the story in a song.  

How do you write music, how does the process work?

I seldom write the words down . I tend to get a hook, a memorable line that I sing to myself. If I remember it after a few days I figure it's going to make a good song so I build it around that. Like I said, it's always about my own experiences or people I meet.  

Who would you love to perform with, past or present?

I'd love to duet with Josh Groban or Catherine Jenkins. The though of my busking style combined with classical songs really inspires me. Annie Lennox as well.

What artists have you most loved sharing a stage with?

Randy Stonehill although he's exhausting!

What are you currently listening to on your mp3 player?

Lots of things - Rich Mullins' Songs album is a current hit. What a songwriter. 

Who do you think is going to sum up the sound of 2011?

I don't thing any one person can do that at the moment. There's so much diversity - Mumford and Sons won the brits this year. That's folkish but I'm not sure it's the sound of 2011. I'd like to hear some genuine music coming from the church. In many ways the style of worship music has become stuck and I'd love to hear something new.  

God's Earth is a huge place, where have you most enjoyed visiting, what cultures have you embraced?

Bangladesh. I spent a year raising money for a charity I support who have an orphanage in Bangladesh. I bought a fish farm for them and we had the opportunity to visit in 2009. It was an amazing, humbling and beautiful time with people who hold themselves like kings, treat you like royalty but have nothing.  

Best live performance you've played?

I most enjoyed the Godiva Festival in 2008, a huge crowd that were really with what I was doing. But I do lounge gigs as well and some of thoses have been amazing.  

What do you miss the most when you're on the road touring?

Family and my own bed. 

How has the Christian music scene changed since you've been part of it?

In the 90's there was quite an upsurge in artists and bands from America. Premier music magazine was a free catalogue that was delivered to subscribers once a month and suddenly we were inundated with new music. Delirious and the World Wide Message Tribe were flying the UK flag.

Although Delirious's assault on the charts was minimal, they were responsible for inspiring churches to put together their own modern worship bands. The internet leveled the playing fiend in the music scene generally. For UK artists this was great news because we don't have the record labels to cater for the number of bands trying to make an impact. The internet enabled bands to release and promote their own material without a label. Outside the constraints of the labels, bands and artists could be a lot more diverse in their styles as well. So now, if you take the time to look you'll find hundreds of small independent artists beavering away, trying to make a difference.   

How does it feel to be in a position to inspire so many people, including young people to turn their lives to Christ?

It can be scary because it's a big responsibility. It only works if I don't try and be more than I am. I have to be honest. If I mess up or trip I have to be honest.  I tell my story and when people say it's touched then I'm blown away. It's a privilege and very humbling.  

If Rob Halligan was a Jelly Bean, what colour and flavour would you be and why?

Mottled yellow and curry flavored. Curry is the food of heaven!

Some quick fire questions:

Tea or coffee?

Morning coffee, afternoon tea


Summer or winter?

Spring


Superman or Batman?

Batman had a cool car.


Mac or PC?

Mac.


Bread or Wine?

BOTH!


Favourite passage from the Bible?

Hebrews 12. I was converted because of the gospels. I'm still here because of Hebrews 12. Run the race. 

You've worked with a number of charities over the last few years, raising funds for much needed projects. How do you decide what charities to work alongside?

That's a tough one. I work with disadvantaged and vulnerable people. If it's in that remit I'm open to helping. The two main charities I work with, Global care and Heartcry, are both small charities based in Coventry. They're both Christian charities, one works with homeless people and I can identify with that. The other works with children in developing countries.


When you play Gracious Street in Knaresborough in March the charity will be Toybox, what do you know about them and their work?

Toybox are very similar to Global Care in that they are a Christian charity working with vulnerable children. Their work in Central America, not just feeding and housing the street children but their partnerships and advocacy projects are invaluable, providing hope for the hopeless and demonstrating Gods love.   

What's coming up in 2011 and next on the agenda for Rob Halligan?

I'm currently working with Global Care on a new project in Ethiopia. I'm also planning to tour my new album later in the year with a small band and have some dates in the US and Canada planned. Although the new CD is just out there's talk of a live album or a reworking of some of the older songs that are no longer available.  

And finally, how would you describe the love of God for all those people who are unsure of their direction and of course those already on their journey with Christ?

The thing that convinced me that God loved me was seeing his love in people around me. It's not just words, it's a tangible thing. God's in it with us, even when it doesn't feel like it. He's run the race and he's doing it again with you.


Thanks Rob, have a blessed day!

Rob will be on BBC1's Songs Of Praise on 6th March. 
He plays Knaresborough's Gracious Street Methodist Church on 26th March, 7pm - tickets £7 on the door.
Visit his website - http://www.robhalligan.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment