Wednesday 2 March 2011

I don't think it's about religion

We were talking with some friends at the weekend, about religion and how some people feel wrong going to church, especially church weddings because they feel like they are wrong for going in. Wrong for going into God's house? Seems daft doesn't it - he wants people there, he wants you to have a relationship with him, become close to him, trust in him.

I think the main point that came from the discussion was that they don't have a religion. Neither do I. You may wonder what i'm going on about but give me a second here. How many wars are started over religion, a lot, we know that, it's plastered across the papers every day. How many other news stories are thrown around about religion, blaming it for this and for that. Hundreds. You even have to decide on job applications whether or not you want to disclose your religion or keep it private to you. There are drop down menus which go on and on, so much so that you have to scroll down a few times to get to the bottom, filled with religion choices to pick from. Why is that? When it comes down to it, I have a relationship with God, I trust in him. It's not about companies ticking boxes, or my religion against your religion. I don't have a religion, I have a faith.

1 comment:

  1. I've had a number of pub conversations with people who say things like 'you have your religion' and I've replied in exactly the same way. Religion and faith are not exactly interchangeable.

    ReplyDelete